Temporary foreign worker: Caregiver Work Permit

Caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision.  If an application for caregiver work permit is approved by the visa officer, the approved caregiver must live in the private home of their employer in Canada where they will be working.

This is Canada’s ‘Live In Caregiver Program’.

An application for caregiver work permit under the Live In Caregiver Program goes through 3 stages;

First – The qualified caregiver looks for and applies for a caregiver job with a Canadian employer.  If the employer selects him, after due advertisement of the position, the employer and caregiver will sign an employment contract.

Second – The employer applies with the Government of Canada for the approval of the employment relationship.

Third - If approved, the qualified and selected caregiver applies with the visa office for a work permit.  Caregivers found to be eligible and who meet all other requirements will be issued a work permit.

To be able to work in Canada under the Live In Caregiver Program, you must meet the following requirements set by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, among others;

1.    You have successfully completed the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education

You must have successfully completed the equivalent of Canadian high school education (secondary school). In Canada, generally, it takes 12 years of schooling to obtain a Canadian high school diploma.

2.    You have at least six months’ training OR at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years

a.    Six months training

To claim training, it must have been full-time training in a classroom setting. Areas of study could be early childhood education, geriatric care, pediatric nursing or first aid.

b.    One year of full time paid work experience or in a related field or occupation (ex., Nursing) including six months with one employer in the past three years

To claim work experience, you need to have worked for one year, including at least six months of continuous employment for the same employer. This work experience must be in a field or occupation specific (ie., children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities) to what you will do as a live-in caregiver. This experience must have been acquired within the three years immediately before the day on which you make an application for a work permit as a caregiver.

3.    You have good knowledge of English or French

You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French so that you can function on your own in your employer’s home. For example, you must be able to call emergency services if they are needed, and to understand labels on medication. You will be unsupervised for most of the day and may have to communicate with someone outside the home. You can also read and understand your rights and obligations if you can function in English or French.

What are the minimum wages and maximum hours of work as a live in caregiver?

It depends on the location of work of the live in caregiver.  See

After working as live in caregiver in Canada, will the live in caregiver be able to apply to become permanent resident of Canada? 

Yes, he may apply for permanent residence with the proper and completed documentation if he; 

  1. Has completed 24 months OR 3,900 hours (within a minimum of 22 months which may include a maximum of 390 hours of overtime) of authorized full-time employment as a live-in caregiver within four years from the date he entered Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program.
  2. Has always lived in his employer’s home or the home of the person(s) receiving care in Canada while employed as a live-in caregiver


For more information or free assessment of your qualifications, call us at Phone No. (001)-905­-564-99-31 or email us at

By ICAN Inc.

Leave a Reply